Sunday, September 30, 2007

Go Gators!

After careful evaluation and contemplation, I have decided that I am a Florida Gator. Some might say that I am just jumping on the bandwagon since the Gators are currently the reigning national champs in football and twice in basketball. However, I have many reasons to be a Gator. I lived the last 10 years of my life in Florida before moving to Africa. My drivers license and voter registration are both in Florida. Three of our four sons were born in Florida. Our home church is in Florida as well as the vast majority of our friends. Pamela and I spent over 2/3 of our married life in Florida. Florida is really my home, and if Florida is my home then it only makes sense that the University of Florida should be my school…so, Go Gators!

I wish it were only that simple. If you aren’t a gator, then you are just gator bait, and I am still on the receiving end of the gator chomp. I could be a very happy fan right now if I could switch allegiances, instead of a downtrodden Vol. 59-20! How is that possible? That would be classified as a good, old-fashioned butt whippin’. I can only look forward to basketball season where the Vols should actually be quite good and competitive.


First Family Visit
Pamela’s dad, Ron, came and spent two weeks with us from September 9-23. We had a very good visit with him and some good quality time. He got to see first hand where we live, the driving conditions, and lots of ministry. We spent time in a children’s home, giving gifts in our neighborhood, bible studies with the students and in worship services. We also took a 2-day safari to Queen Elizabeth Park, where we saw many lions and also found a large python. No car troubles on this trip and a very nice safari.

We got a scare four days into his visit when we received a call that his mother was near death and that he might need to leave immediately. God answered our prayers and extended her life and he was able to stay for the whole two weeks. However, only three days after he left she did pass away. Pamela has gone to America to be with her family at the funeral and also to get some medical examinations since she has had some strange symptoms for about 3 months now. She will be gone a whole month, so I will have my hands full between teaching, ministry and caring for four boys. We will make it. I have done this before and I just need to stay organized and on top of things. She was attending a funeral in Alabama, then going to Florida to visit our church and friends, and then going to Tennessee to visit family. If you are one of the people who spends time with her, make sure that she relaxes but also gets pampered. I think that she is feeling slightly guilty about being gone and may not allow herself to really enjoy everything. While in Florida, she needs to eat lots of good food, go to a Niceville High School football game, visit the Destin beaches, and have lots and lots of encouraging time with her many friends. In Tennessee, she needs to spend lots of time with family, see as many friends as possible and also rest some. If she goes to Georgia, then she needs to go to a Hillgrove High game and see my brother’s family.

I am praying that God will use this time that we are apart to give us clear direction about our path forward. We have been here just over a year and are trying to discern what the future should look like. We have many decisions to make and lots of planning both here and in America. Our work visas and the lease on our house expire in November of 2008, which could make that a logical time to come home. We have also contemplated staying until May 2009, though have had some doubts about that recently. We need to know God’s plan and will and have the faith and obedience to walk it out.

Internet Woes Continue
This trial continues to go on and on and on. My last blog about 2 weeks ago stated that we had just gotten a new internet service that was much better than anything else we had tried. It was reliable, a bit faster, and Mac-compatible. Two days later it shut off and has not been back. I found out last week that the company has gone bankrupt. This is quite frustrating. We have hopes that they might get started back soon and restore our internet. However, I have fallen terribly behind in responding to emails since I cannot receive or send from our home. This will have been posted from an internet café somewhere, but I usually don’t sit and respond to numerous emails while there. Sorry, if you have written and have not heard from me. I keep hoping to get reconnected at home.

p.s. Well, I just read that the mighty gators were upset by Auburn yesterday.
See what happens when I pick a team to root for. This week I will pretend to be a USC fan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Kevin:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Don't root for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. We have enough fans as it is. Maybe you could cheer for... say... Mizzou? Or any school in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas. Thanks buddy!
Scott

2:17 AM  
Blogger The Cochrans said...

SO happy that Pamela was able to visit home but wish it was under better circumstances. Know that you both will be in our prayers as you are apart.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home