Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sunday, October 8

This has been an extremely frustrating week, and it is very difficult to not be discouraged. We have only had internet access twice, and neither time had email, so communications with America have been non-existent. We cannot access our Yahoo account, apparently because there are so many emails with large attachments. Our account piled up while we did not have internet for 5 days.

I did finally get a cell phone. I wish that I knew how to call it from America. It is outrageously expensive to call from here unless you get a special service, which I am pursuing. Our local number is 0774-368867. The Uganda international access code is 256. I am not sure which numbers drop off the front of the number when you add the 256 prefix. I will try to find out today and get out a message. Even as I compose this, I have no idea when I will be able to post it. I hope that I can get internet access soon just so that I can find out the result of the TN v GA football game yesterday. Kris McDorman has been faithful to keep me up to date on the results of the Niceville High School games. Every Friday night, we think of NHS and wish that we could be there with our friends cheering for the Eagles.

I forgot to tell you about getting a haircut. I went to a local shop and was the only mzungu (white person) in sight. Every man getting a haircut was either getting shaved totally bald, or very nearly bald. The man cutting my hair was holding only electric clippers and didn’t speak English very well. I was quite thankful to see him add a guard to the clippers before he began shaving my head. In the end, it was ok. A little shorter than I usually get it cut, but it is fine. I was sweating bullets until I got out of the chair, though.

Pamela found out about a traveling manicurist/pedicurist who comes to your house. She was able to get a very complete pedicure for about $8. At least something here is less expensive than in the US.

I was supposed to teach their Sunday school hour this morning, but for the 2nd time in 4 weeks, they never got around to me. They have two services, with Sunday school in the hour in between. They didn’t finish the first service until 15 minutes before the start of the second service today. This has happened twice. The two other Sundays, I was supposed to have the full hour, but only got around 25-30 minutes. I just go prepared to speak now, but with no expectations. We are learning that it is best to not have expectations for anything, less you get disappointed.

The Ugandan “4th of July” is October 9, their day of Independence. They celebrated in church today by having an African heritage day where everyone wore African clothing, the songs were sung in African languages, and there was a lot of traditional dance. It was a fun day, but we didn’t understand much of it. We joined in the celebration by dressing our whole family in African clothing. Our kids and the students seemed to get a big kick out of seeing us dressed like the Ugandans. We were able to purchase clothes yesterday at the annual fair, that I think is part of the Independence Day celebration. Pamela found a beautiful skirt/blouse combination and looked quite African…at least for a blonde haired, green-eyed mzungu.

Yesterday was my mom’s birthday and because we have not had email or internet access for days, I was not able to even wish her a happy birthday. I had hoped to call yesterday, but was unable to do that either. Lack of communication is very frustrating. I cannot imagine what it was like being a missionary before the advent of the internet and email.

We were told yesterday that our container will be released very soon. Right now, it would be best if it was delayed until we found a house, which may occur sometime during 2006. Actually, since 40 is the number of testing (e.g., 40 years of wandering in the desert, 40 days of rain, 40 days of testing in the wilderness) I am wondering if we are being tested for 40 days in our search for a house. I cannot say that God has shown me anything, but the thought has occurred. Whether it is of my flesh or the Spirit, I am not sure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanted you to know that based on the phone number you gave, people should dial 011 256 41 774 368867 to reach your phone according to the timeanddate.com website. Enjoying the updates.

Praying for you,

Dale

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home