Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Friday, September 29, 2006
Continuing saga of “As the Baggage Carousel Turns”

Well, I am starting to detect a pattern after our 4th Friday in Uganda. What I have discovered is that I don’t like Fridays here, and this one was no exception. Traffic is worse than usual on Fridays, which doesn’t seem possible since it is horrible everyday. And for some reason, it always seems to be extra hot on Friday. It is yucky today. There is no breeze at all, the power has been off all day so there are no fans, and there is never A/C so the lack of electricity has no effect on that. I told Pamela earlier that I’m not sure that I like being a missionary. I miss A/C, smooth paved roads, traffic lights, a bed that is longer than I am, a clean shower, water that you can drink without having to filter it, good coffee and easy to obtain food. What I wouldn’t give to be able to sit on a comfortable couch on Saturday and watch college football all day, while drinking Diet Coke and munching on junk food.

This day got off to a bad start when I awoke at 5:00 am to drive to the airport to pick up Pamela’s bag. It is about an hours drive because of the potholes, taxis, and bicycles. I got there and the flight was delayed. Then I waited until they searched through all of the bags and notified me that the bag still had not arrived. When I tried to file a claim for some financial compensation, they gave me some more forms to fill out. Then we went to the British Airways office to drop it off and the lady was rude and told us that we did it wrong.

We were supposed to see a house today, but the agent never showed up. Hopefully tomorrow we will get to see a house.

It would be easier to write about how we awoke to a backyard full of parrots in the trees and giraffes in the valley. We then picked oranges and mangoes from the trees in the yard and had fresh juice and a freshly brewed cup of locally grown coffee. While driving to the airport, we had to stop and allow elephants and zebras to cross the road. Unfortunately, it just isn’t like that in the city of Kampala, which has over 2 Million people. Most of the trees have been cut and it is very crowed. I saw more wildlife in Bluewater Bay than we have in Uganda. We are living in about 800 square feet with 6 people, and have no grass where we are staying. There is a small parking lot that serves as the boy’s playground. We are spending so much time trying to find a house, cars, cell phone, groceries, school supplies, visas, etc that we have had very little time for ministry.

I know that we will be okay, but today has been a difficult today. I hope that you don’t mind my honesty. We still trust that God lead us here and that He did not lead us out of Egypt to kill us in the desert. He will make a way and one day we will look back on this time to see how He was working. We know that we are being refined as fine silver and gold in His crucible. We have to seek Him each day for our many needs. We have other things that are also trials that we do not have freedom to share in this forum, but God has been faithful to speak through His Word and reveal His truth. When there is a greater dependency for His provision, it always draws us closer to Him. We will not doubt in the dark, what God showed us in the light. We desire to seek His face and not His hand, even when we are in such need of His provision.

The boys are doing remarkably well and we are very thankful for their adaptability and good attitudes. Mondays have been much better days, which will probably be the next time that I can post. In fact, I am writing this off line and it is doubtful that power will be restored in time for me to post this until next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home