Thursday, November 16, 2006

November 16, 2006

Wow, I cannot believe that we are only 1 week from Thanksgiving! We will be spending Thanksgiving Day at a Baptist prayer retreat in Jinja (the source of the Nile River) and the day after with our new friends from World Gospel Mission (WGM). We are connecting well with the WGM people, and we see many ministry opportunities with them. Their local leader, Jonathan Mayo, has connections with Niceville through the First United Methodist Church and was even there last spring. They are training pastors and helping to start businesses in Kampala, both which are objectives of mine.

Pamela and I were both sick earlier this week, but now both of us are on the mend and feeling better. Our house is getting closed to being unpacked, and we would probably be finished if we had more storage space and closets.

I witnessed a horrible accident today where two men were struck by a motorcycle that was traveling very fast. I feared that one of them was going to die from striking his head on the pavement so hard. It is chaotic when these events occur, which are a common occurrence due to the heavy pedestrian traffic and many, many autos and taxis.

Several people have inquired about a mailing address and we have one now since the WGM is willing to share their PO Box with us:

Ironside Family
World Gospel Mission
PO Box 11788
Kampala, Uganda

If you send anything, it will take about 3 weeks to get here if you use airmail. If you pay for the “expedited service” it costs more money and gets here at the same time as the regular service. So, just use the regular service. If you send it by boat, it may take 6 months or longer or never get here.

It will be at least another month before we can get internet in our home, so our communications with probably be infrequent since we have to go to internet cafes to get email access. It is not a simple process. Don’t let that discourage you from sending them, you just might not get a timely response.

I will be preaching at Kampala International University this weekend at their Saturday night service. There are usually about 400 students in attendance. I would appreciate your prayers and am very excited about this opportunity that will probably continue on a weekly basis for a while.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ironside Tribe!

I'm so glad you all will have friends to celebrate with. As Christians, we should celebrate every day as Thanksgiving, huh.
I'm grateful you have the opportunity to speak, Kevin. I will be praying for you.

I love you guys...........
Your friend in T-Town

2:21 PM  
Blogger The Cochrans said...

Hey Ironsides! Glad that you are getting settled and acclimated to your new home and community. We will be praying for God to speak through you in power. (We'll be thinking about you tomorrow afternoon during the Ohio State vs Michigan game! GO BUCKS!)

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI! PAMELA, KEVIN AND BOYS,
I KNOW I HAVE BEEN BAD RECENTLY ABOUT WRITING, HOWEVER, I THINK, TALK AND PRAY FOR YOU EVERYDAY. I LOVE READING THE BLOGS, IT MAKES ME FEEL CONNECTED. I JUST SPOKE WITH KAREN AND AM WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM TONY TO SEE HOW WE CAN HELP AND WHAT HE MAY BE ABLE TO SEND WITH HIM AT THE END OF THE MONTH. WE ARE GOOD. WE HAD GOOD HOLIDAYS AND DID GET CAUGHT UP IN THE HECTICNESS OF THEM. HOWEVER, THE OLDER I GET, I DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE RECEIVING AND GIFT GIVING AND HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THE KIDS ON THAT. THIS YEAR BEN DID NOT EVEN HAVE A CHRISTMAS LIST. I JUST WANT THEM TO KNOW THE HOLIDAY IS NOT ABOUT RECEIVING. SO YOUR MESSAGE WAS ONE I UNDERSTOOD. WE DID SEND THE HOLIDAY IN NEW YORK WITH OUR FAMILY AND THEN WENT UP TO STOWE VERMONT TO SKI AND JUST BE TOGETHER. WE DOWNHILLED 2 DAYS AND SNOW SHOED ONE DAY. THIS YEAR JACOB GAVE ME AT LEAST A 30 SECOND HEAD START AND STILL BEATS ME DOWN THE SLOPES. I SOMETIMES DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE THEIR IS SO MUCH TO SAY. SO AT LEAST THIS IS A START. I'M OFF AND RUNNING. LOVE AND KISSES TO YOU ALL!
DONNA CLARK AND FAMILY

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home